Founded in 1850 on the banks of the Brazos River, First Methodist Waco is the oldest congregation in Waco and McLennan County. Rev. Joseph Sneed, a circuit rider, preached to a growing congregation in a little log cabin by the river. The congregation soon purchased land and built at Second and Jackson Streets. In this building, the congregation opened the doors to other groups of Christians forming new churches, extending hospitality to the Baptists and the Presbyterians as they established their first congregations in Waco. The congregation grew in one other location in the downtown area before settling at Fifth and Jackson Streets from 1876 to 1963. In the early 1900s, the congregation helped found the Methodist congregation at Austin Avenue United Methodist Church. In 1963, the congregation moved from downtown to its present-day location at 4901 Cobbs Drive in order to have space to grow and reach more people for Jesus Christ. On July 1, 2019, First Methodist Waco reunited with Austin Avenue United Methodist Church and created a First Methodist Waco Downtown Campus. July 1, 2019 also marked the day First Methodist acquired Robinson Drive United Methodist Church and created a First Methodist Waco South Campus. Today, the congregation deeply values its long history and commitment to the City of Waco and her people.